Speaking English in a Foreign Country


Image from Juan Minute


There were several instances where in my accent was commended by Aussies or migrants here in Australia. Sometimes they ask me straight away if I am from the Philippines, since the accent gives it away, but there are times they were unsure where I was from. The guesses ranged from US, Canada, Singapore, China or Malaysia. Although most Aussies love my accent, some of them were a bit critical of it.

Most of the time, I have to give them a history lesson. Yes, the Philippines was conquered by the Americans for more than a hundred years right after it was conquered by the Spaniards for 333 years. Plus, in the Philippines we follow the American Education system, and we can mostly access American TV series and movies. So with our mirror neurons working on overdrive, the only accent we can adapt is the American accent. It might not have the full on American twang, but it is somewhat similar.

Now why do I write about this? It has been pointed out to me by a few people, mostly my work mates, if people actually understand the way you speak, why mimic the accent? I stopped and thought about it, and they were right. I was never born to fit in anyway. I have been always out there, standing out like a sore thumb. It is never wrong to be different. You may be different in everyone's eyes but, have you not thought that maybe, you were just being misunderstood. You do not fit in in their stereotype therefore these people can potentially attack you in ways you never imagined. But, take a deep breath, and know that you do not have to fit in in their boxes. Why should you? (Provided you have not brought harm to anyone). Just know that there are a lot of people out there who decide to just be shoved in a box they don't like just to be liked by other people. But would not that be limiting your own potential? People just fear things they don't understand. You may be a genius without you knowing it. Just be yourself. If you can't accept yourself for who you are, then who will besides God?

Comments

Popular Posts