Will the Harry Potter Cursed Child Play Live Up to the Hype?

After hearing the news on twitter years ago that JK Rowling was writing another Harry Potter book, every Potterhead celebrated, including me. Eventually, more details have come out and JK Rowling wrote a play as the 8th and final instalment of the Harry Potter series. 

It took a few years too before the play landed on the shores of Australia. And although I was excited that I would finally be able to watch the coveted play, as it was only previously shown in West End in London and Broadway in the United States, they decided that the play would only be exclusively shown in Melbourne, which truly annoyed me. If you have not yet read my previous entries, I actually live in Sydney so it means I had to plan an interstate trip just for that. 

Still truly thankful that the play became available starting from February, 2019, in Australia despite my annoyance in location, my Ate (a Filipino term to call an older sister/lady plus a fellow Potterhead) booked the 2-part play for us during the pre-sale. Since there were several people buying the tickets at the same time, and she was booking for 5 people and our availability, she was able to book this play in June, 2019. 

Before watching the play, I actually read the script. And the storyline was actually quite good and gave light to what the trio's, Harry, Ron and Hermione, lives were like a few decades after Lord Voldermort and his army were defeated. After reading the script, I was excited to find out how they would portray the magical parts of the storyline. After seeing the play, so to not spoil the magic for other people, I would not go to extreme detail on how the play portrayed the jaw-dropping magical scenes.

Giving you a bit of backgroud about me, I have seen several low to high quality theatre productions in the past (Kinky Boots, Miss Saigon, Phantom of the Opera to just name a few), I can confidently say this definitely fell under the high quality category.  The actors portraying the major characters were very effective in coveying a continuance of the storyline from where the book left us haging. The sets for the scenes were well-thought out and added to the mind-boggling moments on how the characters were able to convey the magical aspects of the play. The costumes of course were similar to the movie versions. And this production is a play not a musical, so do not expect to hear any singing.

Since this play is 2 parts, I highly recommend you see both parts in one day as where the scene cuts from part one to part 2 will leave you hanging from the edge of your seat. Tickets are also hard to come by so I suggest when you get an e-mail regarding new ticket releases, book them as early as you can. Letting you all know they have really cool merch so set aside a budget so you can leave with items you really like. WANDS are also welcome, so bring your wand if you have one.

Overall, if you love magic and live theatre productions, this 2-part play is exactly what  you need and more. This was also the perfect avenue to just geek out and release your inner Potterhead inside as the crowd shares the same love and respect for Harry Potter and JK Rowling. This play is a definite MUST SEE!


Comments

Popular Posts