Decisions, Decisions...

Status: Leaving or Staying?

Yesterday, I received a text message from an unknown number. It said I was scheduled for an interview on the same day at 3pm at a hotel in Ortigas and to bring extra resumes. I was on 7am-3pm duty and I was not able to check my cellular phone the whole time until 3:30pm. I was so surprised to see the text message because I forgot already that I even applied there. It was dream job and I was about to miss it because I was unable to reply to the text immediately. I replied to the sender and asked to if we could reschedule the interview. I even lied that we were not allowed to use our phones during duty hours just so I could get another shot at this. But I also indicated in my text that if they could not reconsider, I thank them for the opportunity. I was already devastated because I thought I missed out on this one. But roughly 5 minutes later, the sender replied that I was for an interview at 10am today. I was ecstatic.

I arrived at the hotel at 9:11am and asked around for the location of their HR Department. The guard stationed in front of the hotel instructed me to turn right at the corner and go near the parking lot. I thanked him and followed his instructions after. I was so nervous that I even got lost for a while but eventually found my way to my destination. I was the first person to arrive there. I logged in their logbook, gave the guard my valid ID and sat at the bench located nearby. The guard weirdly asked me if I was from an agency. I answered no because I applied online and yesterday I received a text from an unknown number. She was unconvinced by my story, so I showed her the text message. She then backed off and returned to her seat. After a few minutes, someone else arrived dressed for an interview. She sat beside me. Her name was Mahden.

Mahden is a 22-year old lady who is taking up Hotel and Restaurant Management at JRU. She told me she was graduating this year and was applying for the position of Food and Beverage Receptionist in the hotel. She asked me politely what position I was applying for. I told her I was applying for the position of Hotel Nurse. She also asked me where I graduated and what year I graduated. I answered all her queries. She told me how her first interview went (one interviewer and the interviewees were lined up to form a panel). The funniest thing I said to her was for her to look at the other people arriving for interview because they, including her, all looked the same. I even made a joke to her that all of the people around us were trying to get her position. Unfortunately, our time for chit chatting was cut short when a guy called out for the people due for a second interview. Mahden was one of them, so I wished her good luck; she wished me luck back. I then looked around after she left and realized that they all really look the same. Their attire was a skirt, paired up with a white collared blouse, skin-toned stockings and closed black shoes to match. I was thinking all through out my waiting time there that I was the odd man out because I was wearing a blouse, slacks and closed shoes. And then a frightening thought came into my mind— maybe I will be interviewed for the wrong position. After that, all I wanted to do was get out of there.

Of course I did not leave the vicinity. After a few minutes, a guy called my name and he asked me to follow him. The first thing that I thought was I was solely called out for the interview. I was expecting the guy to call out a lot of names but he did not. I was also thinking that maybe this interview is really what I have applied for which is the hotel nurse job. The guy accompanied me to the café located at the lobby of the hotel and asked me to wait for my interviewer. I was expecting to be brought up to the HR Department as Mahden have mentioned which was located at the 14th floor. I was surprised to see that the guy was asking me to take a seat at a coffee table with only 2 seats. My heart was really pounding that time. A lot of thoughts were clouding my mind. As I waited for my interviewer to arrive, I prayed to god to show me the right direction.

When my interviewer finally arrived, my mind went into overdrive. She toppled over the vase which was one of the centrepieces of the table and it spilled water on my slacks. That was our icebreaker. She asked if I got wet and gave me tissues to wipe it off. The first thing she recognized about my resume was my date of birth. I indicated the necessary corrections. She then told me she was already biased because we came from the same elementary and high school in Marikina. I was so happy to have an advantage like that. After that, the interview went smoothly. I already have the job and the only thing I must do is take it. But she saw that I was hesitant to do so. She told me to give her an answer latest on Thursday next week; I agreed.

Background of the hotel nurse job: contractual lasting only for 10 months after that I will be parting ways with the company, I will be paid more than what I am earning right now, schedule of work is still shifting and the job is basically working in a clinic setting. Factors hindering me to take the job: I am a regular at my current job, I am availing the benefits which come with being a permanent worker, same working schedule.

My realization was even if I really dreamt of being a hotel nurse I think god was conveying His message through this experience. My personal interpretation of this was He only wants the best for me and that being a hotel nurse will bring me farther from His plan for me. After facing the reality that comes with being a hotel nurse, there is no other option for now but to continue living my life a staff nurse. I am yet to text her with my decision on Monday.

To all nurses out there, yes, there is a hotel nurse job you can apply for. Try it if you are still waiting for a job opening a staff nurse in a hospital.

Comments

Popular Posts