What to Order in an Indonesian Restaurant-- My Mirasa Experience!

Living in the Philippines, I was only exposed to certain Asian and Western cuisines. And I can definitely say, I have never really experienced growing up being exposed to Indonesian cuisine. All I knew about their dishes is that they were on the spicy side. Upon moving to Sydney, I was exposed to more Asian cuisines that were not readily available in my home country, and one of them is Indonesian. As I went out with more foodies and met more of my peers, I have come to know and be close with a few Indo friends. And of course as a foodie, I am down to try any food to expand my food knowledge.



I had the privilege to be invited to a well-known Indonesian establishment in Mascot by my friend Meidi. I was also went with two more foodie friends, Gil and Anna, because this type of meal is best enjoyed with great company. 

Mirasa has been in the business for several years now and eventually closed down due to a family member passing away. They have re-opened their doors last year and under the direction of the son honouring his father's legacy by continuing to cook the traditional Indonesian dishes that the locals have come to love and enjoy. This place, although with simplistic interiors, definitly does not lack the look and feel of your typical Indonesian hole in the wall places. The staff devout their energy into perfecting the traditional Indo dishes and also good customer service. 



Out of all the dishes I have tried, I was in love with their version of the Hainanese Chicken. I have tried the Malaysian and Singaporean versions but Mirasa's version is by far my favourite. They were definitely not shy to pack a punch by adding more ginger on top of the chicken, which made me love this more than the versions I have tried in the past. I would always order Nasi Goreng when I go to any Indonesian restos. And just like the Filipino Adobo, Indonesia has different variations per region. I got a milder Nasi Goreng variant from Mirasa. If you are like me and want to have a bit more kick, do not worry as they have a sambal station. You can grab as much sambal to your heart's content.  If you want to try something different, I highly recommend trying the Batagor Sayap, which is fried meatball (chicken) and tofu. And if you are wondering what to wash down your dishes with, try the Teh Kotak drink. It is a cold, sweet Jasmine tea drink that cleanses the palate and would make you want to eat more food. 

Overall, I had a wonderful experience dining here. And if ever you find yourself in the area, do not hesistate to try this restaurant.






Comments

Popular Posts