AHPRA Application Process for Bridging Program

Initial Registration of Overseas Nurses (IRON) is the bridging program designed for overseas trained nurses who do not meet the standards imposed by AHPRA. There have been multiple instances of friends or friends of friends asking me about this matter but, since I underwent pathway number 2, I did not have a clear idea regarding this in the first few years of staying here in Oz. However, times and circumstances change. 

My husband came to Australia in 2014 wanting to pursue his career in nursing. Back then, he did not yet have the IELTS test scores that AHPRA wanted.  He made several attempts to pass the IELTS but, always falling short in one of the categories. My husband, armed with self-doubt and clouded judgement, became discouraged. We talked through his issues and we decided that taking the OET (Occupational English Test) would be the better option. In the latter parts of 2015, he took the OET and passed on his first try. 

Moral lesson: Never give up. English is only a second language, not a test of intelligence. There are several test scores AHPRA accepts (IELTS, OET, PTE and TOEFL). Just know which test would better suit your skills. Below again is the link for the changes in english requirements of AHPRA. Always check for changes in their website.

https://www.ahpra.gov.au/Registration/Registration-Standards/English-language-skills.aspx

Moving along with the story, since my husband passed his OET, it was time to get to work. First thing I did was to read the AHPRA website regarding International Nurses and Midwives (I had more free time to read the information than he did, so I just read the website). There is a lot of information on the website. I strongly suggest to digest the information first before proceeding. After reading and understanding the information, I then printed out a copy of the form (AGOS-40). This form would guide you regarding certain document you need to submit. (Note: all documents to be submitted should be certified, do not submit original documents). I told my husband to fill out the form and sign the last page. There is a document checklist included in the form. 


Changes in AHPRA requirements: International criminal check under Fit2work, accreditation standards of the school, a detailed breakdown of the pharmacology subject according to AHPRA's template and the english requirements.

The international criminal check part of the application is done through Fit2work. If you do not have the results of the check, you can write on the form the reference number given to you by the said company. Once you do receive the outcome, which will be sent through the e-mail you have provided, you need to submit a certified copy to AHPRA. If you want to do this step before you submit your documents, go right ahead. 

The accreditation standards of the school document is a bit tedious to do. I can recall how my mom went back and forth the school and CHED. Back in 2014, when the accreditation standards became a part of the requirements, getting one from CHED (Commission on Higher Education) was difficult since they did not know what they were asked of. But since there were quite a number of nurses asking for the same document, they created a process on how to obtain the said document. 

You need to go back to your college and ask for the following documents: certified photocopy of Transcript of Records (TOR), certified photocopy of diploma, certified photocopy of special order (if any), school endorsement letter, certified photocopy of Related Learning Experience (RLE). You also need the following documents, photocopy of PRC licence, certified photocopy of Government Recognition (GR) for BSN and a duly notarised authorisation/special power of attorney if application is through a representative. Now, I do not claim to know how this was all processed as my mom went to my husband's school and accomplished this task. What I do remember from her stories was the certified documents from the school were sent to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) and she had to claim the documents there before returning to CHED. She then gave CHED the certified documents and other documents needed and it took 1 business day to be processed. The document needs to be sent by CHED as per AHPRA's requirements. 

The pharmacology certification needs to be directly sent from the school to AHPRA. Along with the pharmacology certification, they also need to send out a course description of the curriculum of the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program and a course outline. Since we were living here in Oz already, my husband and I just sent my mom an authorisation letter to process everything that needs to be done.  Fortunately for us, there were a few people who have done this in the past so the school's registrar knew what to do and she guided my mom correctly. 

With the special power of attorney (SPA) needed by CHED, my husband and I went to the Philippine General Consulate in the city CBD (Sydney). Before going there, make sure you have 45 AUD, cash, since they do not have eftpos, a photocopy of your passport and driver's licence or photo card or medicare card and the prepared SPA. They do have a template for the SPA on their website, so just edit it. It takes one business day for the document to be processed. When he was able to claim the SPA, I gave it to my sister because she was flying out to the Philippines in the next few days. But, if no one is flying out the Philippines, just send it via courier service (DHL, Fedex or even LBC).

Another key point in the application process: When submitting your certificate of employment (COE), please ask your employer to state the type of work you have undergone (full time, part time, contractual or casual). Australia has all these types of workers in the workforce. Unlike in the Philippines, if you have been employed as a Staff Nurse, they automatically know you have worked full time hours. So here, they do not know that fact. You definitely have to ask your employer to include this in your COE.

Documents he submitted to AHPRA:
1. Completed AGOS-40 form and signed
2. Curriculum Vitae as per AHPRA's format (found on their website)
3. Proof of identity documents as per stated in the form
4. Transcript of Records and Related Learning Experience Document, BSN Diploma
5. Board certificate, PRC licence and Board test scores
6. International Criminal History check under Fit2work
7. Certificate of Good Standing from PRC (directly submitted by PRC to AHPRA)
8. Pharmacology certification together with the course description and course outline 
9. School accreditation document from CHED 
10. English test results 
11. Certificate of Employment

It took about 3 months for his papers to be assessed. It would have been quicker if the documents needed from the Philippines were sent to AHPRA straightaway, as he already had a case officer one month after submitting the initial documents to AHPRA Sydney. He then received his notice of refusal to be registered as a nurse and a bridging letter. He then had to reply to the e-mail saying he agrees to the terms given by AHPRA and will undergo the bridging program. There is a link on the documents e-mailed to him by AHPRA to where he needs to undergo the bridging program. There are several schools offering this program and I suggest you weigh the pros and cons before enrolling in one. That bridging letter is the reason why you have to undergo this whole process before studying. The schools require you to have that letter before enrolling together with other requirements (vaccination history).

Comments

  1. Hi maam. Thanks for this blog.very helpful.ask ko po sana yung regarding pharmacology template. I cant see sa website ng ahpra yung template.ano po ba yun?salamat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marjorie, there's no specific template provided by AHPRA unfortunately. If someone from your college has already applied to AHPRA they might already have their own template. If not, just follow criterion number 8 under qualification criteria: international qualified nurses. When they actually started asking this document, my friend and classmate in college actually submitted a document to AHPRA. Since the document did not meet their standards, AHPRA replied and gave her the specifics on what the document should contain. She then went back to our college and asked the College of Nursing if they can comply. Fortunately, the school was really helpful. I suggest, ask your school if someone has done this in the past. If not, e-mail AHPRA on what should the document contain. They're very helpful. Hope this helps.

      Delete
  2. Hello there!
    For a beginner like me and want to be register in Australia what form do i need?? Btw, im a registered nurse here in PH.
    Thank you! Your help is very much appreciated ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kailehne. Kindly read the whole article. I even put a photo of the form on this article, so it would not be difficult to find it.

      Delete
  3. Hi! Thank you for your blog. I am just wondering if I may get a case officer if I only passed some requirements. My problem is that the COE that my current company ( I am here in UAE) gave me has a validity of only 30 days and it may become invalid since my requirements from Philippines will take a long time. I may only be able to send CV as per aphra, AGOS 40, Fit2work reference, COE of current work, Certified passport copy and Good standing (UAE). Any tips? Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The validity of your requirement may only be applicable in UAE. For example, your birth certificate in the Philippines apparently is only valid 6 months in the Philippines but, the said document does not have an actual expiration date written on it. Does your COE state a validity date? If and when you already have a case officer, he or she will correspond with you through e-mail detailing the documents you may have to submit for completion of evaluation. He or she will give you a deadline for submission of documents. Usually they give you maximum 1 month for submission. I would suggest to try and submit the documents together or closer to one another as to not delay your application. It would be best that once the case officer opens your application, everything is there and he or she will just send you the bridging letter. If not, like my husband who had several documents still pending, as stated above, he was given a month to submit the documents and the case officer and him were corresponding through e-mail.

      Delete
    2. Yes it states it is valid for 30 days. Can I still submit it?

      Delete
    3. It depends on you and how accommodating your case officer would be. In this case I would call AHPRA to verify. If it were me though, I would ensure I would be able to submit all documents in one go so as to not be worried about the validity date of that document. But definitely call AHPRA just to have further advice on the matter.

      Delete
    4. may i know to which aphra office you sent the certificates of registration status or good standing? I m an international student and i m not sure about where should our registration authority should forward

      Delete
    5. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    6. Hi, I sent mine through the Brisbane office. As for my husband, he sent his through the Sydney office. It depends where you want to sent it through.

      Delete
  4. It actually depends which state you are applying for. So if you want to apply in NSW then submit it to the Sydney office. But, if the case officer opened your application already and it was assigned somewhere else, (like my husband who lodged his application in Sydney and his case officer was in Perth), then you have to send it to where your case officer asked you to send it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi po...does fit2work have any payment? Thank you. Reena

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Reena. If I remember correctly, it was around 100-150Aud. I do not recall the exact amount. I am not too sure either if they increased their fees. Once you apply for the ICHC under fit2work, the website will prompt you for payment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi I am a first timer here and I will do all my papers alone.It's a little bit hard for me to fill up some of the criteria in AGOS 40.
    -Will I leave it blank or write not applicable if I will not answer the space provided?
    -Section C, can I just leave it blank because I think its not applicable for me.
    -Section K, the payment method..how can I pay them I am in the Philippines..???hmm..
    please help..thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is best to write not applicable on the box provided. For section c, you have to actually provide proof of identity. Call ahpra if your documents do not fit in any criteria and ask them which one you should be providing instead. For section K, there is a credit card section, so just fill it out.

      Delete
  8. Hi! I really find your blog really helpful! I just have a question re proof of identity, hope u can answer :) i can only provide passport and proof of change of name like marriage cert. I dont have my visa grant yet. Will that suffice? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi...
    I am aDiploma of Nursing for 3 years education Indonesia. Would you assist me to applying Registration in AHPRA?
    and is this way first step to undetake practice nurse and bridging program in Australia?

    Kind Regards

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mam ask ko lang po anong requirements s fit2work? Na need iattach

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts