Journey to Queensland, Australia

It has been years since I have written in this blog. Apparently, my last entry was about me leaving for Australia. If anyone has been wondering if I had been living under a rock, you are definitely wrong. Things did work out for me here in Australia. I am currently a Registered Nurse trying to pursue a totally different career. But before I eventually retire from nursing, I want to impart my nursing knowledge to the world (whoever would want to read this, I guess). 

Probably a lingering question from your mind is: How did I become a nurse here in Australia? 


Let's backtrack for a bit: I graduated with BSN (Bachelor of Science in Nursing) at the University of the East Ramon Magsaysay Memorial Medical Centre in 2009. I took the Philippine Nursing Licensure exam in June, 2009 and passed the said test. I was able to get my license in PRC in August, 2009 and stared job hunting. Mind you, it was a gruesome experience. 

Consider reflecting this thought for a moment: There IS an overflow of registered nurses in the Philippines plus there is a slim chance of anyone getting hired straight away. (I stated IS because, til this day, it is fact). After getting registered, only 2 pathways are offered for new graduates who just passed the boards: finding a permanent job in a hospital or "volunteering" in a hospital wherein you have to pay the hospital for giving you the training. Unfortunately, the latter statement is most often than not the case for the new grads. But, by the grace of God, I was able to find a job in December, 2009 and was asked to start working in January, 2010. The funny thing about this was, I was so determined to actually break away from my university and apply elsewhere but, I ended up working at my university hospital, UERM Hospital. It was my husband, who was then my boyfriend, who wanted to work there badly. 

Fast forward to about a year and 5 months of working, which was in May 2010. Let's just say I had enough of the hospital politics, the thought of me not getting anywhere and the meagre salary. I was already looking for feasible options. At the time, my thought process was this: USA-- closed, UK-- closed, Canada-- closed, Singapore-- 3 years full-time experience needed, Middle East-- open, highly likely to hire me. Given the following options I further asked myself, "Which first world country is still open?" And then it hit me, Australia. Hmmnnn... I have a few batch mates who are already there, about 6 at the time. But before I asked any of them, I asked my sister an important question. "Ate, where is the Great Barrier Reef located?" She then answered, Queensland. My mind was set, I had a new target: Queensland, Australia. After that, I asked 2 batch mates regarding the process of coming to Australia. 

Back then I knew there were 2 ways on how to get here. 
1. Bridging Program-- 3 months of study, immigration granting 4 months of valid visa
2. Bachelor's Degree program-- 1-2 years of study, immigration granting 1 year and one month of valid student visa

Immediately I knew, which pathway I was willing to take, number 2. I asked my batch mates regarding pathway number 2. Important questions asked where the following: how much was the show money, how long were they studying for, can you work while studying, was it easy to find a part-time job, was it easy to work while studying and where did they process their documents. Armed with new knowledge, I sat down with my mom and dad regarding the matter and they agreed to let me do this. Well since they had no other choice though. My dad was not willing to see me off to the Middle East anyway. In hind sight, they did have another choice, not willing to finance me to study in Australia and keep working in the hospital and wait for better opportunities. But God enacted his plan for me.

The next step to this chapter in my life was already written in the previous entry. But in the succeeding posts, I will get into more detail on how everything unraveled. So whoever wants to come here may reflect first on certain aspects before finally deciding if this is the country they want to migrate to. 

Comments

  1. Thank you for acknowledging that the content of this post was relevant. Hopefully, whoever reads this post will find your comment; and if they need to sit the NAATI, they have this option.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts