Taking the IELTS

Five letters can make a person tremble: IELTS. Wait a minute, why will a person tremble?

International English Language Testing System also known as IELTS is a method to gauge a person's level of competency in English. It consists of 4 bands: listening, speaking, reading and writing (I have arranged them in their level of difficulty). Depending on the country you want to apply for, your IELTS score is one of the determinants of the application process. Since I am talking about the application process in Australia, the band score needed in Australia is OBS (overall band score) 7, listening 7, reading 7, speaking 7 and writing 7. 

Recently the English requirements of AHPRA (Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency, the PRC counterpart of Australia) has changed. It would be best to always check their website for changes. The changes written on their pdf file are the following: a maximum of two test sittings in a six month period only if: you achieve a minimum overall score of 7 in each sitting, and you achieve a minimum score of 7 in each component across the two sittings, and no score in any component of the test is below 6.5. Currently, they are more lenient with the English requirements because in the past, they only accept one test sitting with the scores mentioned above. They do accept other English test scores from other English test but, I would rather just focus on IELTS as it was the only test I ever took. Below is the link for the changes. 


Let me take you back to my revision days in 2010 (revision in Australia means reviewing, teaching you new words already before you come here to lessen confusion). In the Philippines, the biggest review centre for IELTS is 9.0 Niner IELTS Review Centre. They have several branches all over the Philippines. Back then, it was either you review at Niner or Kaplan for the test. Niner was definitely more popular than Kaplan because you can enrol in one branch and attend classes at whichever branch is closest to you. The only catch is, for Major subjects (listening, reading, speaking, writing), you have to attend at their bigger branches, which are located in Taft Avenue, EDSA-Quezon Avenue and Morayta. So you really have to travel quite a bit if you were living in Cainta, Rizal like me. However, the traveling did not bother me so much as I was focused on reaching my target grades. 

I most often reviewed at these branches: LRT Santolan, Pasig and Sta. Mesa. My favourite was the Sta. Mesa branch but, they have closed down this branch for reasons I do not claim to know. Why was it my favourite branch? It was a small classroom space, 2 coaches who were really good in explaining the subject at hand and it was easy to get coaching session slots. It was definitely a haven for someone like me who do not like a big group. I attended all the major and minor subjects, was able to participate in 6 mock exams and was able to obtain another blue card as I attended as many coaching sessions as possible. 

There are 2 IELTS testing centres in the Philippines, British Council and IDP (International Development Program). I took my test at British Council because I heard rumours about them being more lenient if your reason for taking the exam is to study in a university overseas plus the hotels they booked for exams were closer to where I lived, so it was an easier choice. I do not know if the rumour was true though. British Council is located in Ortigas (10th Floor Taipan Place, F. Ortigas Jr Road, Pasig City). On the other hand, IDP is located in Makati and Cebu City. I frequented IDP Makati branch because that was where I lodged my documents for uni and my student visa (2/F Pioneer House, Makati, 108 Paseo de Roxas, Legaspi Village, Makati City and G/F Unit 104 Keppel Center, Cardinal Rosales Avenue, Corner Samar Loop).

Tip: Book your exam already and review as much as you can before the day arrives. By booking the exam before attending review classes, you will be forced to revise seriously. In my case, I booked for my exam in July, 2011 and took the exam in August, 2011. This gave me more time to develop the skills needed and transform into the person I needed to become to pass the exam. Niner helped me out in the application process for an additional fee but if you want to do it yourself, you can go and schedule your exam online. I am not so sure if Niner does help you out in filing your application as I have taken my test way back in 2011.

https://www.britishcouncil.ph/exam/ielts
https://www.idp.com/philippines/ielts/bookatest/manila

How I reached my target grades: I just followed all the pieces of advice given to me by the Niner coaches. They have told everyone the following: read the orange book from cover to cover, answer all the listening and reading tests in the orange book, attend as many coaching sessions as you can, attend all mock exams, attend all major subject review sessions, record your answers via your mobile phone and listen back and practice speaking and writing at home. I answered all my speaking task cards, written as much writing task one and two essays as I can, texted my husband (who was my boyfriend back then) in english and forced him to reply in english as well, watched tv shows which were in english and recorded and listened back to my answers for the speaking tasks. I find it very important to have coaching sessions as this will gauge your competency level in speaking and writing. Never mind that the coaches change from area to area as this will train you to speak to different types of people and gain confidence eventually. I only took the test once, and I am forever grateful to the coaches who helped me out along the way.

Important note: Coaches are there to teach and support the students. They are there to help. They are called coaches because they know what they are talking about. And the main reason you do need a coach is because you need someone to push you when the chips are down and encourage you to transform into the person you need to be to obtain your goal. So it is best to listen and execute the things they area asking for and trust that these tools will help you in achieving your goal. 

Why do people tremble at the thought of taking the exam: I think this is deeply rooted to the fact that Filipinos were colonised by the Spaniards. During the Spanish Era, Filipinos were mocked by the Spaniards if they were really good in speaking Spanish. Treating them in such a bad manner led the Filipinos to believe that speaking a second language makes them feel inadequate even if they speak it quite well because someone would always mock them for it. And that is definitely the case for speaking in english in the Philippines. Instead of the Spaniards criticising the Filipinos, it is the Filipinos criticising their own. And it is a sad fact. Speaking in english became a way of gauging if people were intelligent instead of seeing english as just a language. Thus, the self-doubt and insecurities seep in before the exam even starts. Another fact is, in the Philippines, you cannot really talk to patients in english unless they speak to you in that language. They would think you are trying to be better off than anyone else and in the end, the speaking skill diminishes. Provided that everyone listens to english shows and watch english films as well but, not everyone reads like I do. I am a voracious reader. So yet again the reading skill diminishes. As for writing nursing notes, they are written in broken english, so how can you really practice this second language if the opportunities do not present themselves? The english language is a skill. You can harness a skill and be great at it. but you just really have to practice. As the saying goes, if there is a will there is a way. 

The difference between me and other people was IELTS test score was not my first step, it was my last. And it was one of the determining factors for people who have a clear set of goals. If your last step was the IELTS test score like mine, you already have a clear view of where you want to be when you finally pass the test. And in my opinion that is the best way to go. Know where you want to go, prepare all the documents needed and finally take the exam. Because at the end of the day, you have to be all in when you make a life changing decision. 


Comments

  1. I agree on this part, "Treating them in such a bad manner led the Filipinos to believe that speaking a second language makes them feel inadequate even if they speak it quite well because someone would always mock them for it." and "Speaking in English became a way of gauging if people were intelligent instead of seeing English as just a language." Yes, problems in learning English is normal, yet solutions are available. If you are learning the language, do not get disappointed in committing mistakes. Like what they said, we learn from our mistakes, but do not make mistakes in order to learn. Studying English is a long process, even native English speakers make mistakes with their own mother tongue. Since these problems are common, there are some ways on how to fix those English problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right. It's a matter of just doing it basically. Practicing to speak, listen, read and write takes time. But if people are determined to learn the language, especially if they are migrating to another country where in English is the national language, then it does not really matter if they commit mistakes. Here in Australia, people actually speak broken English. Other people fill in words for them and in the end they still understand one another. But as long as people are over conscious on what other people will think, it would be difficult for them to improve.

      Delete
    2. Yes, people that are being over conscious would make it really difficult for them to improve because they always wanted to be as perfect as possible. Even, I, myself experienced the hardships of learning it because that is what I have in mind when I'm still a student. Remember that language is a skill we can make it perfect through time and practice. Just don't expect overnight transformation and it really takes a long process because there are a lot of words to know and understand so taking every opportunity to learn English every day will be a big help.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts