School of Rock The Musical Comes Back to Sydney!

In the words of AC/DC, "It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock 'n' roll." Those lyrics of the AC/DC song definitely sums up the whole School of Rock Musical.




I want to thank the Hype App team for organising my 4 Press tickets for me, my husband and my friends. We were so stoked to get really good seats, stall seats in the middle, 7 rows away from the stage. I was able to see the facial reactions of the cast up close compared to when I am seated in the balcony. 




I am a massive fan of Jack Black and to know that a School of Rock Musical was coming again to Sydney, they came a few years back and had their show at the Lyric Theatre, I just had to see the play. This time around, the venue was at Capitol Theatre in Haymarket. What I love about this venue is there is more space in the waiting area for the production team to set up some props and for the audience to take photos compared to the Lyric which just has a backdrop outside of the theatre itself. For this particular event, they set up a drum set downstairs and 4 guitars upstairs with a School of Rock backdrop. The seats as well in Capitol Theatre I find are more comfy and spacious than at the Lyric Theatre. 

The play is based on the movie School of Rock and thanks to Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber for creating the beautiful musical version. Dewey Finn, Jack Black's character, is such a difficult character to cast in my opinion, as his portrayal in the movie was epic. I was at the edge of my seat almost the whole time he was pretending to be Mr. Schneebly, Dewey Finn's Friend and former band mate. I was happy they were able to cast someone for the Dewey Finn role and he  did the character justice. Not only that, they were able to cast children who can actually play the musical instruments live. I was in awe of the talent that everyone showcased that night. 


There were a few delays in making the casts' microphone operational, I have noticed it about three times throughout the play. But, I was utterly impressed with the lighting direction especially the beams of lights creating that rock vibe atmosphere. I would have wanted the costume department to have created the exact same uniform as in the movie, but that's just me being critical. I love that they did not omit the Stevie Nicks song Edge of Seventeen however, I was left wanting to hear the Led Zepplin's Immigrant song and AC/DC's It's a Long Way to the Top. I would have wanted to see them perform either one of the songs at the encore performance. I love the set design and props as they definitely took to Horace Green Prep School and I also felt I was at a rock band concert.

As someone who appreciates stage plays, this is my 19th play to date, I would recommend you to see School of Rock Musical. If you want to sit back, relax and have a good laugh then this event is for you. 





*If you want to see more photos and videos, check out my IG highlight for School of Rock: @mertiolettebaby*

Comments

Popular Posts